mardi 30 décembre 2014

What does this text say, on a cover for The Return of the King?


I recently purchased a new copy of The Lord of the Rings, because my previous copy was frayed and falling apart. The new copy has the book split into three volumes, each with a unique cover.


The covers for The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers each have Elvish script clearly written with Tengwar characters. However, the cover for The Return of the King has text that vaguely resembles Tengwar, but the characters are much more blocky; as such, I am having a difficult time actually identifying the characters, let alone what is written:


The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, cover


I initially wasn't sure if the cover text actually said anything, but apparently the design goes back to J.R.R. Tolkien himself, so I have no confidence he would write complete gibberish here:


The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Tolkien drawing


In comparing the cover I have with the original design by Tolkien, it appears some of the text may not even have been copied properly, e.g. the last letter of the (faint) text inside the ring (the second image) appears to have a left-facing hook not found on last letter of the book cover I have (the first image).


Is the text written in Tengwar? What does it say?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire